Choose a different version or distribution
Before we start discussing how to install CSF on Ubuntu 22.04, let's quickly define CSF.
CSF (ConfigServer Security and Firewall) is a robust security solution that safeguards your server against unauthorized access and malicious attacks. It provides a comprehensive set of tools to protect your system, including advanced firewall rules, intrusion detection, and login failure detection.
With CSF, you can easily manage and control network traffic, block suspicious IP addresses, and receive real-time alerts about potential threats. Implementing CSF ensures enhanced server security and helps keep your valuable data safe from cyber threats.
In this tutorial, you will install CSF on Ubuntu 22.04. We will also address a few FAQs on how to Install CSF on Ubuntu 22.04.
Advantages of CSF
- Robust Security: CSF provides a powerful firewall and security measures to protect your server from unauthorized access and malicious attacks.
- Easy Management: With CSF, you can easily manage and control network traffic, allowing you to set up firewall rules and monitor activity effectively.
- Intrusion Detection: CSF includes intrusion detection features that help identify and block suspicious activities or unauthorized attempts to access your server.
- Real-time Alerts: CSF keeps you informed with real-time alerts, ensuring you are promptly notified of potential security threats or suspicious activities.
- IP Blocking: CSF enables you to block specific IP addresses or ranges, providing an additional layer of protection against known attackers or suspicious sources.
Step 1 – Deploying the Ubuntu server
1) Set up a fresh instance of Ubuntu 20.04.
2) Use SSH to connect to the server as root.
Step 2 – Preparing for CSF installation
1) By default, Ubuntu 20.04 includes the UFW firewall. Before installing CSF, you must delete it by running the following command:
apt remove ufw
2) After that, install the CSF dependencies.
apt install perl zip unzip libwww-perl liblwp-protocol-https-perl
3) Send-mail is required by the CSF in order to alert the administrator.
apt install sendmail-bin
Step 3 – Install CSF
1) Go to
/usr/src at this point.
2) Use the command line to download the CSF distribution:
3) Now, extract the CSF.
tar -xzf csf.tgz
4) After that, go to
5) Next, issue the command as follows:
6) Make sure the CSF has the required iptables modules.
7) Verify that all test results are now positive. You'll see the following outcome:
RESULT: csf should function on this server
8) The outcomes are as follows, when you verify CSF status after the installation:
9) You will get an output like below:
csf: v14.02 (generic)
*WARNING* TESTING mode is enabled - do not forget to disable it in the configuration
Step 4 – Configuring the CSF
1) By default, the CSF operates in testing mode. The TESTING mode needs to be turned off next by editing
2) Find the line TESTING = 1 right now. Change the number back to 0 now.
TESTING = "0"
3) Next, find the line RESTRICT SYSLOG = 0 and modify the value to 3, which will restrict access to the
syslog/rsyslog files to those who are a part of the RESTRICT SYSLOG GROUP. Use the following command to complete it:
RESTRICT_SYSLOG = "3"
4) Now, save the configuration file.
5) Now, stop and reload the CSF with
FAQs to Install CSF on Ubuntu 22.04
Is CSF free to use on Ubuntu 22.04?
Yes, CSF is available as open-source software and can be used free of charge on Ubuntu 22.04.
Are there any system requirements for installing CSF on Ubuntu 22.04?
CSF has minimal system requirements, and it should work on Ubuntu 22.04 without any issues. Ensure that you have a compatible version of Perl installed on your system.
Does CSF automatically start on system boot in Ubuntu 22.04?
Yes, CSF can be configured to start automatically on system boot. You can enable this feature by setting the
LF_DAEMON option to
1 in the CSF configuration file.
Can I whitelist or blacklist IP addresses with CSF on Ubuntu 22.04?
Yes, CSF allows you to whitelist or blacklist specific IP addresses. You can add them to the appropriate CSF configuration files to allow or block access.
How can I check if CSF is running on Ubuntu 22.04?
You can use the command
csf -s to check the status of CSF. If it is running, you will see relevant information about the firewall and active rules.
Can I enable email alerts for CSF on Ubuntu 22.04?
Yes, CSF can send email alerts for various events, such as blocked IP addresses or login failures. You can configure the email settings in the CSF configuration file.
How can I uninstall CSF from Ubuntu 22.04?
To uninstall CSF from Ubuntu 22.04, you can use the command
csf -x to remove the software completely from your system. Ensure to disable CSF before uninstalling it.
We hope this detailed guide helped you install CSF on Ubuntu 20.04. Visit the CSF website's official support page to learn more.
If you have any queries, please leave a comment below, and we’ll be happy to respond to them for sure.